Thursday, April 9, 2015

Bookmarks

I've had a fair few favourite bands in my time.  The first one I can remember is U2, back in their 'Achtung Baby' days, but it's never been just one band for life.  There have been different ones at different stages, including a pretty long period of the Clash.  One from the mid-90's was the Prodigy; in fact, 'No Good' may have been the first piece of dance music I liked; before that I was all about the indie and rock sounds, but 'No Good' got me on board with electronic music.  I lost track of the Prodigy after 'Fat of the Land' and the "electronica" push in the US, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who did.  But they made a bit of a comeback a few  years ago and I caught them live at the 930 club.  I can't say I really paid any attention to their new stuff, but I didn't mind it; live it all seemed to slot right in with the hits.  Don't get me wrong, I didn't go to the (sold-out) show just for nostalgia; I went because I knew it was the closest I'd come to a rave, and I wasn't wrong!  They're back again now.  I wasn't too impressed by what I heard at first, but this song has grown on me a little bit -- it's not very deep but it's got some classic Prodge elements to it and will probably sound good live.


Also back is Gaz Coombes.  I've no idea why this track is called Detroit, but I like it -- I like the quiet bits more than the loud bits, they remind me a bit of Supergrass' 'Road to Rouen' album, which is a great one in my opinion.  The video is just a bloke running in great scenery, with a silly bit in the middle (it is Gaz Coombes after all); makes me want to go for a jog somewhere nice.


Lastly, Oddisee's back with some solo stuff and it's rather good:

1 comment: