Monday, February 8, 2010

MUTINY: Asians Storm British Music

I would LOVE to see this film! This is the music I've grown up on.

"Combining music documentary and social documentary, MUTINY: Asians Storm British Music charts the meteoric rise of Asian music in 1990s Britain, as well as the decades of cultural cross-pollination and political struggle that led up to that historic moment. Shot independently on digital video over the course of seven years, MUTINY features Asian Dub Foundation, Talvin Singh, Fun^Da^Mental and a host of other British musicians of Indian, Pakistani, and Bangladeshi descent, presenting these artists and their music at extreme close range.
Through its dynamic mix of live performances, candid interviews and seldom-seen archival footage, MUTINY presents the story of a generation that grew up in the 1970s and 80s, defining itself in an environment of racial violence while drawing strength from both British street culture and South Asian roots. The artists who emerged from this generation became some of the greatest innovators in British music, mixing the influences of their parents' cultures with electronica, hip-hop, reggae and punk and producing unique and powerful new sounds.
MUTINY follows these musicians from their early forays in music and activism through their negotiation of record deals and press attention during the "Asian Underground" hype of the mid 1990s, to dealing with the loss of industry backing by the end of the decade. MUTINY'S artists are undeterred, pushing forward with their music and laying the foundation for the next generation. Outspoken and uncompromising, they remain in command throughout this fast-paced and uplifting feature.
With: Anjali, Asian Dub Foundation, Black Star Liner, Fun^Da^Mental, Hustlers HC, Invasian, Joi, Kaliphz, DJ Ritu, Talvin Singh, State of Bengal, and more."

I've just found out about this film and I'm totally geeked. Haven't been able to find a trailer online though. I need to get my hands on this film.

Check out this banging track by Anjali called "Stinging Sitars". I know it was in a phone advert a couple of years ago...erm, yeah. But I love the surfer music with the sitar man.

2 comments:

  1. I've seen it, ages ago. I would love to see it again and not least show it. I've been looking for it, with no luck, have you got your hands on it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elias! Unfortunately I haven't seen the film myself, but a friend of mine knows the filmmaker so I might try to get hold of a copy one of these days.

    ReplyDelete