Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Deetroit tech

I found this video via my twitter feed - see, twitter is good for some things eh?

Its a video produced by RA (Resident Advisor) and its a beautiful short documentary about the birthplace of techno. Unfortunately most Americans have no idea where electronic music came from. But if people did some digging they'd learn that house and techno originated in Yankland in the 80s'.

I myself didn't really know this for a long time - even when I lived right by Detroit! Imagine, a lover of electronic music, living right by Detroit, having no idea that the music I love found its origins just a few miles down Ford Road. That shows though, how buried this crucial part of music history is in the mainstream.

That's why I like this video, because it expresses those frustrations, of how much Michiganders and Americans have no clue about this amazing part of music history in America. Me and my brothers and some friends have expressed these same frustrations. Imagine if house and techno became as big in America as they did in Europe, or as big as hip hop in America - electronic music would nowhere be as underground as it is now.

Anyway, watch the video. What I especially love is the bit about the Youthville group - those kids are so damn lucky! And talented! And I'm pretty sure I've passed by that building. And here's an article about Motor, a club that's mentioned in the video.


Real Scenes: Detroit from Resident Advisor

Now that I think about it, I'm a filmmaker, I love electronic music, and I'm familiar with Detroit - I wish I did some work on this video!

Oh also, here's a list from Beatport of more films about Detroit techno! One day I will have watched all of them. :-D

1 comment:

  1. great video, seemed really honest, made detroit seem cool and shitty at the same time. i'm glad the artists didn't play up the "scene" in detroit; there were perhaps putting it down a little bit too much, but it's good for people to know that detroit ain't no berlin -- you're not gonna hear techno on the radio. even less so now that our old high school radio station has changed from the escape to the park, and is promising to play all the hit music (seriously, i listened to it while in canton and it was crap mainstream stuff, then i checked out their website -- seems they've become a format station, probably to make money for the school).

    ReplyDelete