Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Things I've heard recently (including the Wales, part 3)

Even at the height of my musical fandom, back in my late teens and early 20's, I was never a true obsessive, or completist, like some people can be.  Even with my favourite bands, I might've listened to some of their albums repeatedly, but I didn't always get round to hearing everything.  There was a time, a fairly decent stretch of time, when the Clash were my favourite band, and I listened to 'London Calling', 'Black Market Clash', and 'the Clash' multiple times, til I knew all the songs.  I even tracked down the UK version of 'the Clash', cos I'd read it had different tracks on it, and a 10 inch vinyl version of 'Black Market Clash' -- and where did I read about those albums?  Probably not on the internet, cos back then I'd even read books about bands I liked, and I owned a few books on the Clash.  Those multiple listens were great though, and it's probably cos I did that that those albums mean so much to me, and probably always will -- just like 'Achtung Baby' will, or 'Definitely Maybe' will.  But there were some Clash albums that I didn't properly get round to, despite owning them, one of which is 'Sandinasta!', from 1980.  I heard a track off that on the radio today, and while it did sound familiar, I don't think it's a song I really had heard a lot before.  I liked it when I heard it today but I realised that the way I'll listen to it, pay attention to it, and process it now, is totally different from how I would've when I was younger.  I may listen to it a couple of times today, and now and then when I look back at this blog, but it's not going to enter that part of my brain where my musical memories are kept -- it won't define a time period or anything for me, or go down in my thoughts as a great song because it's by the Clash;  it'll just be a good song I heard today.  Which is a bit of a shame, cos it's a good song, and it's by one of my favourite bands -- I'm just not hearing it during the right period of my life.



Next up is another track from young whippersnapper, Jake Bugg.  What I'm gonna write now is different from what I thought I was going to write.  I was going to ask, again, about what does this young person know about anything? and I can't take him seriously, etc etc.  But I re-listened to his song and you know what, he's singing about normal things, things he probably does know about -- and he plays an instrument, writes the songs himself, and so on, which is more than you can say for most crappy teen-pop artists.  I think his singing style is a little too throwback and contrived, but maybe that'll change with time.



Last up, Bodhi, from the capital city of Cardiff -- a town I wish I knew better than I do.  Came across Bodhi yesterday, kind of randomly, but  I'm glad I did as I think one can always use some euphoric dance music in one's life.  Plus their beanies are cool!



2 comments: