Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Yesterday

I went to see Laetitia Sadier last night.  The ex- (former-?  current-but-on-a-break?  I'm not sure) Stereolab singer is touring her second solo album, 'Silencio'.  I never really listened to a lot of Stereolab but have been aware of them so when I heard she was coming to town, and that it was cheap and in a tiny venue, I thought it was worth going to.  I've been listening to 'Silencio', and quite like it -- a good indie album that doesn't just stick to whatever sound is cool now -- instead it really does seem like her own individual work.  This track is one my faves:



Yes it's very sincere and direct, but I think that's OK -- it's actually quite refreshing to hear someone sing about something current in a very direct way and have it still sound pretty good.  The album version's even better.  The show itself was decent, pretty low-key but Sadier and her band were charming and had some good between-song banter.  I kept looking at her thinking "'Emperor Tomato Ketchup'... she was on that album and it came out when I was teenager ... but she doesn't look very old... which must mean she was really young in Stereolab..."  Yup, my idle thoughts.  I was very tired.

I heard some good songs on the radio yesterday too, both of which I think were somewhat of note.  First one was by Alabama Shakes, a band I've never really heard but have been trying to resist anyway.  Why?  Well mostly cos of their name, the way they look, and the fact that they seemed kind of big in Europe -- seemed to me like a band trading on a name (ooh, Alabama), a quirky singer and "diverse" line-up, and some retro sound that's probably been done better by someone else.  But I heard this song yesterday and I like it:



I also heard and liked a Pixies track.  The Pixies are one of those bands that are basically classic in the indie world but who I've never really heard a lot by.  They were slightly before my intro to indie music, and American, like a lot of other bands of that era who I'm sure are good but I've never got round to check out -- Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, and Sebadoh, to name a few.  I probably never will either to be honest, but there you go.



Speaking of old American indie that I never heard, here's some Bob Mould, ruining my theme cos I heard him today:



Hmm, seems like that last one is new!  Look at him, growing old disgracefully!  May have to check that album out.  Though it's a bit Foo Fighters for me.


3 comments:

  1. 4 tunes instead of 20 - that's an improvement. but still man, a lot for one post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. whatever, it's not like anyone gives a monkey's

    ReplyDelete