Monday, August 10, 2015

Jamie XX at Terminal 5

Saturday August 8th I went to a proper show after a long, long time. I found out Jamie was on tour the day after tickets went on sale; they were already sold out. I got a pair of tickets on Craigslist though for a decent price. The girl I bought them from was a blonde from California, with a gross boyfriend who was all over her. Anyway, I found a friend to go with and there we were at the gig!

I haven't actually bought Jamie's album "In Colours" yet but I know the main tracks off of it. I dunno why everyone likes "Good Times"...its a weird tune to me. I prefer "Sleep Sound", "Girl", and "Loud Places", which I wrote about here.

The opening guy was Mike Simonetti. He DJ'd for TWO HOURS. Two flipping hours. Not only that, but he was pretty terrible. His set had some good moments but they were few and far in between. His set had no flow to it I felt.

Jamie came on finally to everyone's relief at 11. I've listened to a few of his sets so I'm pretty familiar with how he builds up things and with what he plays. The highlights of his show were definitely his own tunes, especially everyone singing along to "Loud Places". Also "Girl" at the end was a win. The other stuff he played though was ok...the other sets I've heard of his are better. For some reason this one seemed a bit random and not as good of a soundscape, in my opinion.

Still, I'm glad I went. One nice thing was how diverse the crowd was, much to my surprise. I thought it'd be all white hipsters. That really wasn't the case. It was a good night, got fish and chips after and was able to take the train home, didn't have to pay for a taxi, woohoo!

Photos by my friend Sarah R.





4 comments:

  1. nice pics! remember when we sat through a dj set before the walkmen came on in dc. always a bit of a letdown when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice pics! remember when we sat through a dj set before the walkmen came on in dc. always a bit of a letdown when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DJs are boring, I prefer bands.

    Terminal 5 was where I was supposed to see Ride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. fahad, yeah i remember that. that dj was rubbish too. what's with rubbish opening DJs?

    feraz, live acts are better. gorgon city's next iA, they're a house act but they'll be doing live stuff, so yay.

    ReplyDelete