Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Good stuff I've heard recently -- NZCA/Lines, Mystery Jets, PJ Harvey, Woods

My work has had a nice technology update recently; new computers, new drills, things like that.  One of the side benefits has been that I can now listen to internet radio while I clean people's teeth -- definitely a bonus! I used to hate cleanings, now I find myself looking forward to them just so I can hear some BBC radio.  The Beeb, and basically Radio 6, is as far as I've got in my net radio exploration I'm afraid.  I find that the DJ's and the mix of music on there seem to suit the kind of work I do; it's great having eclectic UK radio to hear again, instead of the advert-supported format crap that DC is dominated by.  There's a definitely more of an indie and old music focus, as opposed to the latest dubstep, but that's OK.  Having the radio on has definitely introduced me to some new bands and tunes that I probably would've missed otherwise, and I thought, why not share my discoveries?  No doubt I'm late to the party on some (many?) of these but I'm ok with that -- I'm a 33 year old dentist, I don't mind not being up on the latest stuff (one reason why there's no Frank Ocean on this blog yet).  And with that, here are some tunes, with very little background info -- you can do some of the work yerselves.

First up, NCZA/Lines.  No idea how that band name is pronounced, but I do like the electro sound of this track, 'Compass Points':

The singers's got that perfect indie-singer look too -- check out those cheekbones!  You can hear more from them at their site.

Next, Mystery Jets, with 'Greatest Hits':

I was quite charmed by this song and had a few guesses as to who it was by.  I haven't heard anything by Mystery Jets before, but they've been around a while.  You can hear their latest album in it's entirety here.  Recorded in Austin, don't ya know.

So one thing that's cool to do while hearing these good songs is trying to figure out who I'm listening to.  I'm pretty embarrassed about the next one -- not only was I unable to guess who it was, I've never even heard the song before.  The references to Brooklyn and Manhattan definitely put me off, and had me thinking... Patti Smith? The voice had me thinking... Chrissie Hynde?  Wrong both times -- it's PJ Harvey with 'You Said Something':


Ok, last one, and I can imagine at least one of my siblings getting annoyed at this post being too long now.  This last band is called Woods.  I've never heard of them, but it seems like they've been around for a bit.  Here are the gentle indie sounds of 'Cali in a Cup':

Had me remembering Teenage Fanclub, they did.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Ashraf Bros., plenty here to get excited about. I must admit, I can appreciate Radiohead's ambient blips and beeps as much as the next guy, but for the most part, I don't understand electronica. Mystery Jets was enjoyable and catchy. I will check out the link to the album. Maybe my taste in music is a bit conservative - give me some good, clean guitar riffs, some harmonies, good hooks, and thoughtful lyrics. Mystery Jets is catchy pop. They're almost there. But I was delighted to see your reference to Teenage Fanclub - one of my favorites. The Woods were pleasant. For you're enjoyment, here's a link to one of my favorite contemporary pop bands, the High Dials, from Montreal: http://www.myspace.com/thehighdials

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry Riaz, not feeling that band!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad about the High Dials. I've been listening to "Woods" at work today. Thoroughly enjoying it. They're not as poppy as Teenage Fanclub, they've got more of rustic, folk-rock thing going on. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool man. sadly, i highlight these bands but don't really have time to check them out properly myself

    ReplyDelete
  5. i really like the "compass points" track!

    ReplyDelete