Thursday, March 18, 2010

Myspace files: Pendulum/the Ruby Suns/Toro Y Moi

I think I'll do this every now and then. So many bands release new music and then come to town that often the only way I have to decide if they're worth seeing is by checking out their Myspace pages and the tracks on there. After that my decisions are made!

All I knew about Pendulum before this morning is they were supposedly good Australian Drum n Bass. Maybe I'm thinking of another band though; I just checked out Pendulum and their sound veers between the Prodigy, Linkin Park, and terrible terrible metal backed with Drum n Bass beats. They've somehow impressed Zane Lowe, but I'm struggling to see the appeal. Maybe it would help if I was 15. Here's their Myspace, see what you think. As for me, I'm taking them off the "to check-out and possibly download" list.

http://www.myspace.com/pendulum

The Ruby Suns are better. They're from New Zealand and make some nice sunny pop with international influences (particularly Polynesian). Really puts me in a spring and summer mood! If they were slightly dancier they'd be even better (check out the synth stabs on 'Cranberry') but as is they seem like a great band to hear outdoors on a hot evening.

http://www.myspace.com/therubysuns

Toro Y Moi is one bloke who's now based in South Carolina, though I think he's from New York or Philly originally. Not sure why he's gone down to SC, though sunshine and beaches may have something to do with it. I first came across him when he popped up on the DC events page at Resident Advisor. Had to check him out then but turns out he also isn't all that dancey. He does use more electronics though, producing a reverb soaked sound that has shades of 80's pop, soul, and even 60's-ish surf rock in it.

http://www.myspace.com/toroymoi

I may check out the Ruby Suns and Toro y Moi later this month as they're both playing a cheap show at the Black Cat. I'll let you all know how that goes if it happens.

1 comment:

  1. Didn't really like any of these although if I'd have to pick one it'd be Toro Y Moi. Pendulum are complete balls. BTW the link for Toro Y Moi takes you to the Ruby Suns.

    ReplyDelete