Monday, March 22, 2010

Listen to a legend

The tables have turned and my brothers have told me off for not writing in the blog. I'm not sure where this month has gone, to be honest.

Moving on - here's a departure from my usual posts on house music. I know next to nothing about Arabic music, especially classical Arabic music. What do I know is, is that Um Kulthum is a legend, and for much reason. Her voice has POWER.

This is one of her most famous songs, "Inta Omri". I first started listening to this a few months ago, and was reminded of the song again when I heard it in the background, in a scene in this film.

This song is really quite amazing and no wonder it's so popular and famous, and there have been numerous covers of it. There's so much emotion and melody in the music and in her voice.

The tune is quite lengthy with numerous transitions, so here it is posted in parts from a live recording, which I love, and I wish I had it on vinyl:

Part 1 - I love the sad-sounding guitar in this bit


Part 2


Part 3


Part 4


Part 5


Part 6 - love this bit too

6 comments:

  1. I don't understand the obsession with vinyl - why does the format matter, surely it's the music that's important? Digital sounds better too. Cassette tapes will always have a special place in my heart, that doesn't mean I'm gonna get rid of my iPod and start rocking my walkman again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what did you think of the tune kaaz?

    i like putting on a record and listening to it while i'm reading, working, or just chilling - its relaxing. and also mp3s are highly compressed, so vinyl sounds much deeper and richer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not as bad as I expected, but still not my cup of tea. Not ready to jump on the world music bandwagon yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. please don't use the orientalist term 'world music' - it makes me cringe.

    'not as bad'??!! what are you on about? this music is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I discovered Um Kulthum when in Egypt. The male guards for our dorms were so into her. Young, old, it didn't matter they all loved her. She's a legend there and all over the middle east.

    ReplyDelete
  6. agree with henster on this -- digital def sounds crapper sometimes, esp MP3's if you listen to them properly. they can't help it as those files are compressed which means musical information is missing, it has to be. with formats like vinyl you get all the sound and a different experience, though i'd be lying if i said i can point out differences.

    ReplyDelete